12.7.13

Identity Crisis




Lately, I've been having a bit of an identity crisis. It's been ongoing for a few months. I'm pretty positive it's what led to some of the greatest decisions of my life: joining Mary Kay, deciding to self-publish The Assassin, shut down MBB and start Ginger Snaps (I'll have that website done someday!).

Crisis has always been a word that's carried a negative connotation. But in the past few months, I've realized, a crisis can be good. I've really had to reevaluate what I want out of life. For a long time, I thought I could hold a normal job and then do my creative stuff on the side - like writing and photography.

This summer has been a brutal awakening. A normal office job is not for me. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot and I love it here, but the idea of doing it for the rest of my life is not something I want to do.

But that's not the point of this post. 

Out of this identity crisis, I've realized something. I really like my name. As a kid, I hated it. Downright hated it. Laura Elizabeth? I hated it. No idea why.

But as I "suffer" this identity crisis, a few weeks ago, someone asked me what my middle name was and I told her "Elizabeth." She told me she thought it was super pretty.

She was right.

It's classic, simple, but pretty. 

It's my name and I'm finally owning up to it. While other things in my life may change, my name will not. It's almost a rock of sorts. 

Which is part of the reason I'm going to rename the blog to "Laura Elizabeth".

The change won't be immediate. It'll be a few weeks before I change it. Maybe the beginning of the August, but that does mean all my social media handles will change.

Again. 

in fact, I've already got a new facebook page up for the change (stupid facebook won't let you change the page URL after a certain amount of times). Want to resupport a girl? I'd love you forever! 

Twitter will be @lauraelizabethtx 
I suspect instagram will be the same. And Pinterest. I'll know more details later. 

And I'll get a new home on the web. More details on that later too :)

When I first came up with the idea of changing the name, I pitched the idea of changing it a few weeks ago to a group of bloggers who's values I opinion. One mentioned the blog "Lauren Elizabeth" and honestly, I was kind of crushed.

Then I realized, it didn't matter. She was Lauren, I'm Laura. This is my name. 

I've spent a long time trying to be someone I'm not. 

That's going to change. It's time to embrace who I really am - name and all. 

Y'all, I'm way too freaking excited about this! 

5 Comments:

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

Crisis seem to be when I work my best, am the most productive and discover the most about myself. I cannot tell you how many times I've changed my blog/business name. You change and therefore what you love and do will also change! Can't wait to see what happens for you!

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

Oh, I remember having this thought in my head! When "Simply Aunie" just was a little TOO simple. I'm so happy you're going with what you think! Good for you!

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

I'm hoping this one sticks. I change names so much! But thank you! I'm excited for everything that I've got wrapped up under my sleeves! This is just a tiny bit!

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

Well I'm excited for you. If it feels good, that's all that matters. Go with it if you love it! To be honest, no one really liked Aunie Sauce that I talked to about it before I changed. That all came after!

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

haha, everyone thought "howdy girl" was strange! I was like "I like it!" If only that lasted. :P

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover