3.7.13

Happiness is a State of Mind


A few weeks ago, I was reading an interview and while I can't remember who on earth the interview was about, I remember reading a quote that really stuck with me: "Happiness is a state of mind." I've secretly carried that quote in my back pocket since then, dwelling on it, agreeing with it, thinking whoever said it was absolute idiot and so many other things.

I've suffered from depression for years, and while I've mentioned it briefly here, I've never really said it out in the open. Yes, I've suffered from depression, but whenever I tell people they always seem surprised, and I've realized that this quote is exactly why. 

Yes, I've suffered from depression, but I try not to make it the defining point of my life. Depression has made me appreciate the little things more. It's given me ambition to go and chase these crazy dreams. I'm fighting it head on, and having a happy state of mind is such an important part of that fight.

Now, don't get me wrong - I still have my moments where I'm ready to give up and completely shut out the rest of the world. I feel pathetic, used, broken, unloved. Those moments are still there - a lot. But if it weren't for my personal emphasis on trying to be happy all the time, they'd be a hell of a lot more frequent.

Part of life is the downs, but it's how you deal with the downs and stay happy that make the ups worthwhile. 

3 Comments:

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

You're totally right! Since I learned of Aristotle's theory of happiness I have always kept it in the back of my mind. Happiness is truly a decision and a state of mind.


Christen
http://christenlouise.blogspot.com

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

I think that happiness is a state of mind, just like depression is. I don't, however, believe that it is a choice. I think it /can/ be, but I do not believe/think that it is possible for it to be a choice completely. Depression is a medical illness, often coming from something deeper. I have PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder. I look at this time of my life right now as something that defines my life and my future, because it comes from being abused growing up. However, I look at both of these things I have as some kind of positive thing, because both have changed my life completely. My life has changed so much from these two disorders, and the aforementioned illnesses have thus caused me to realize that what I wanted to do and be when I was younger is actually possible.


I think that the secret key is to define the illness instead of allowing the stereotype to define you.

Laura @ Howdy Girl said...

That's a wonderful way of putting it! I like that idea of defining the illness instead of it defining you!

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover