5.6.13

Storm Warning


I don't really know where to start with this post, and I'm sure by the time I'm done writing it, I'll be bawling my eyes out, much to the discomfort of my co-workers.

So, I'll start with what I know to be fact.

I love my sister. She's one of my favorite people in the whole world.

I also know that I don't always let her know that. I know that we fight a lot lately and things have been tense.

She's 13 and we all know how hard it is to be a 13 year-old girl.

I just moved back home for the summer and that's hard too. I feel like there's no room in my family anymore. I know that me moving back home has been a huge adjustment for everyone in our family, especially Amy and I.

And I know that things have been tough for us, we're both going through such big changes in our lives.  (Just so you know, the tears are already sliding down my face. Can we say crybaby?!) We but heads like a bunch of mountain goats (they're the ones that but heads right?!)

But despite all of this, I still love her. Yes, we fight, yes we say horrible things to one another and we make each other cry a little too much.

Back in junior year, my dad was always traveling, to the point where it felt like he was never there. Not his fault, the guy had to make a living. But we all struggled at first. I became a carpool mom.

There would be nights I'd take Amy to dance, run to pick up my baby brother from basketball, and turn back around to pick Amy up before we would all go home.

Over the many hours we spent in the car, Amy and I had fun jamming out to country songs. The one song that really became our jam was "Storm Warning" by Hunter Hayes. To this day, that song is our song. Other girls will go on and on about how they love Hunter for "Wanted" or "Somebody's Heartbreak" and Amy and I will have no hesitation to loudly (and off-key) burst into "Storm Warning."

Do I miss those days? Yes, life was a lot simpler and fun back then. But life is about moving forward, not going back. I hope and I pray that through this rough patch that we're going through, I pray that Amy and I can come out of it stronger. I don't know when the hard times will end, when I graduate college? When she graduates high school?

I don't know. And neither does she.

But it amazes me just how sweet my sister really is.

Every Sunday morning, we listen to the country countdown. I like to listen to the American Country Countdown with Kix Brooks on one station and she likes to listen to the Country Top 40 with Bob Kingsley on the other country station.

Both shows have listener requests every weekend. And Amy submitted one and they played it on the radio.

This is what she wrote in her letter:

Hi Bob,
I’m 13 years old and I’m just finishing up 7th grade, and my sister is 19 and just finished her freshman year of college. If you were to ask me, things aren't going so well between us.
Not that long ago, when I was in fifth grade, everything was perfect between us. We rarely argued and I always enjoyed being with Laura. Our dad would go out of town a lot so she would have to help my mom drive me and my 2 brothers around town. We’d jam out to country music as we drove all around north Texas. But ever since she started dealing with everything she had to in order to go to college, things have gotten tense between us.
I wish I could go back to those days where everything was good and have my fun sister back. I know that won't happen, but if you could play "Storm Warning" by Hunter Hayes we might just have one of our old jam sessions that always brought a smile to my face.

Thank you so much,
Amy 

When he read that on the radio, I cried like a baby (hence the crybaby part). That dedication hands-down is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. And I'm so happy it was my baby sister that did it for me, I know that she's going to be an amazing woman one day.

So, Amy, through this long post, there's just a few things I want you to remember.

1. I know things are tough, but I want to work through it and I want you with me.

2. I love you so, so much.

3. And you're amazing.




4 Comments:

Nat Marie said...

I cried. So don't worry about being a crybaby, because I cried too.

That is a touching story and reminds me of my own sisters. I am much younger than them, so the only thing we had in common with each other for a long time was our parents. But as we got older, we were able to close that tension. It will get there. Or at least I really hope so.

Julie P. said...

Ok I almost cried too =/ I don't have any sisters, but i do have a brother who is 5 years younger than me. I moved out of when i was 20 and had to move back at 27 due to unforeseen circumstances. Since it was very sudden, I had no choice but to share a room with my 22 year old brother for a year. I really thought we would kill each other through that time. Some days were really bad, but some were pretty good. At the end of all the drama and years later we still fight occasionally even when space is not a problem. So, i think, arguing and fighting with your siblings is perfectly natural, so don't worry. :) Soon enough you will back at the shaky times and laugh about the arguments you had. :))

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

My brother and I have a touch and go relationship. We hated each other growing up, but once we stopped living together things got better.

When I got married, I loved that he was such good friends with my husband. Unfortunately, when my husband and I split up, my brother remained friends with him. It bothers me so much, because this has hurt my relationship with my brother. My ex really screwed things up and hurt me and it bugs me that my brother doesn't fault him. Maybe that's wrong but I can't help it.

Anyway. I'm sure you and your sis will eventually get closer again. That's how families are. There may be fights and hurt feelings but family is family, though ties are so tight.

Lauren Alexis said...

that is so sweet. my sister and i used to be the same way. i am 21 now and she is 15, so much the same. recently we have started getting along better, but there was a time when we fought all the time. it'll work out between y'all, it just takes a whole lot of effort.

madi and i always have country music jam sessions too. it's one of those little things that has always brought us together :)

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover