16.3.13

Respect

I usually don't post on Saturdays, but this was something that's on my mind and I felt the need to get it out while it was still fresh on my mind.

How have we, humans, gotten so pathetic we can't give people respect? Even if it's just respect for that person because they're a human too? A human with feelings and opinions and emotions. How have we gotten so detached from others that we're so willing to mock them so publicly?

Last night on twitter, a tweet popped up in my timeline from Natalie Maines, the lead singer of Dixie Chicks. I love the Dixie Chicks, their music is some of my favorite. I adore their live album for it's energy.

The tweet featured a picture of George Bush, assembled with tiny pictures of assholes. I called her out for it because it's wrong. Got a problem with George Bush? Cool, you've got a right to that, but what she did was childish and petty.

Natalie Maines Twitter Conversation

Needless to say, I unfollowed her. I can't support people who don't have respect for others. I get it, she doesn't like George Bush. I've said it before and I'll say it again, great, you've got a right to not like George Bush.

You know what? I can't stand Barack Obama. Didn't vote for him in this past election. But you know what? When he was reelected, I didn't send him death threats or wish ill upon him. He's a human being and I respect him for that. He's the President. Do I agree with his policies? Hell no, but I'm not going to compose pictures of him using butts. 

I try really hard to be respectful of others, sometimes I fail, I'm only human. But how have we, as a society, gotten so far away from respect? From keeping others in mind as well? I feel like my generation is pretty much screwed because we've lost so much of what humanity is. Common sense, socializing, respect, honor. 

I want to be a better person and I try to focus on the positive. I'm done with publicly humiliating people for being people. Call out the acts, not the person.

One of the things I love about bloggers is they're all so wonderful and nice. They try to inspire love and happiness, even with the going gets tough and they're down. If only everyone could be a blogger, right? 

I don't know about you, but honestly, I'm sick of the lack of respect I see all over the place. I want to change that, it's about time that we demand our respect back. I just hope you're with me. 

4 Comments:

Laura said...

wow.
definitely...everyone's so selfish that they forget another person is human and has feelings.
I'm 100% with you.

Laura said...

I completely agree with you. Kudos to you for standing up for your respect and saying something, regardless of the other person's "celebrity" status. On a lighter note, I wonder what Toby Keith thought of the post. But, then, I seriously doubt those two are Tweeter buddies. Ohh sweet girl, hold your head high and know that there are lots of people standing with you, beside you, and behind you pushing you along when you're weak, encouraging you when you're strong, and nodding in agreement when you've done what's right. If we don't have respect for ourselves, it's impossible to give to others.

Blessings + Hugs,
Nicole

p.s. If it'll make you feel better, check out my new post. I'm *FINALLY* sharing photos from my trip to Israel and the Holy Land. =) http://nicoleandkevin.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/touring-the-holy-land/

Laura said...

Thanks! Someone needed to call her out for her childish ways and I couldn't just NOT say anything. That's the beauty of blogging, I get to decide what goes on here. :)

Laura said...

Great post! My question is...why is anyone still talking about George Bush at this point?! 2007 called and wants their joke back...

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover