28.2.13

catholic to the core // alter serving

First. Today's the day that Pope Benedict XVI retires. Actually, by the time you read this, he'll probably have already stepped down. I still remember the day he was elected pope.

But today, I'm going to talk about alter serving. 

If you've ever been to a Catholic mass, the alter servers are the kids who sit on the alter with the Priest and Deacon. In my church, you can start serving when you're ten.

And I started as soon as I turned ten. 

Alter serving was something completely out of my element. To stand there and just wait on someone? I mean, yeah, now, I do that a lot, but back then? I didn't do that stuff.

Alter serving also gave me my first taste of stage freight. And nerves.

I never knew what it was like to be nervous until I served. I mean the "I'm shaking" kind of nervous.

It was weird. 

But, I served from fourth grade until I joined the adult choir back in ninth grade. It was great, but my heart is with the music. 

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover