18.6.12

Why I Blog

This post has been a long time coming, but today I decided was the day I needed to address it.

I blog for a lot of reasons. I blog because I've met wonderful people through blogging. I started Howdy Girl out as a writing blog way back when I was on inkpop, trying to get into the top five and get my review from Haper Collins.

Then as I realized, I had much more fun talking to people about things besides my writing. So, my blog expanded and I struggled with a blogger identity crisis over senior year as I changed names multiple times, and just when I thought I'd found one I liked, graduation came and I changed it again.

I blog because I want to be able to look back on these crazy years some day. I blog because I've met some incredible people on the internet. I've grown as a person because of this blog. This blog is like my little diary. I pour my heart and soul into this blog, trying to make it a better place everyday. I want this to be a place where people can read about something in my life and go "I've had that happen to me before."

When someone is hurting, I want to be able to put a smile on their face, I want to be able to comfort people, I want people to be happy here, but I realize not everything is always happy and smiley. And you guys have been there for me when life hasn't been happy and smiley.

And I want to be there for you guys. Blogging is a community, and the past two years I've dumped myself into the ocean of bloggers and I've realized that someone who lives in Australia may have the same problems as I do and knowing other people suffer from the same things, it's a little comfort to know I'm not the only one.

While this blog is a diary, it's also a business. Part of the name change was for marketing, I mean, "pens and a camera lens designs" is a mouth full. I want to see growth in my business and in my blog. I want to connect to people I may not have never known if it weren't for the two.

This is the place where I can be me - 100% me. I don't have to hide things for lack of appreciation. I'm pretty sure if I decided to dye my hair blue you guys would be totally on board.

This place has been a saving grace in many ways, too many to name them all off. But every time I turn for support, you guys never fail. I really thank you for that.

These are just some of the reasons I blog, so now I want to know, why do you blog?

5 Comments:

Sarah B Texas said...

Hey, Laura! I'm a new follower of your blog. I'm Sarah from SarahBTexas.blogspot.com :-) I loved reading this. It's great to learn why others do it!

I blog to keep my family 3 states away updated on my personal life, and as a way to teach my friends the DIY crafts and recipes they keep nagging me to show them! ;-)

Moving from California to Texas, I found blogging an easy way to update everyone at the same time and attach pictures to the story without making it too complicated for the non-computer-friendly folks.

Hope to keep in contact with you, and can't wait to read more! Would love a follow back, us Texas bloggers gotta stick together! ;-) Have a lovely week!

Tif said...

Howdy Girl! Found you thru Texas Bloggers! You have a new follower!
xoxo,
Tif
Ramblings of a Southern Bell
http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

Ashley + Nathan from And A DIY Life said...

I love this post! I blog for so many of the same reasons. It's become so much more than what I thought it would be when I first started.

-a

Britt Renee said...

I didn't know that you have gone through a lot of site names. I knew of your other one pens and a camera lens. Apparently it's reasonably easy to change URLs?

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I started blogging a couple months before my first book came out because "that's what an author is supposed to do."

But what happened was I met a lot of other writers and, just like you said, discovered that they were having the same experiences I was having: trying to balance writing and a "day job" and a family, rejection, struggling through new writing projects and losing focus/momentum/confidence.

Pretty soon, the blog stopped being a marketing ploy for my book and started being a genuine conversation about writing and life.

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover