19.4.12

thursday tactics // putting you into your book

guys, let's face it, in one way or another, we add ourselves into our books.

And, honestly, I think that's nothing to be ashamed of. I've read articles where people say it's egotistical to have autobiographical characters - I think it's total bull.

I mean, the only person you know !00% is yourself (and okay, maybe the characters camping out in your mind), so why would you not put a part of yourself in a book? It's your little mark in the book, a glimpse to your readers where you're coming from.

For instance, take Cassie. She started pretty much as an autobiographical character, personality wise. Appance wise, she changed hair color and height every day.

So, then, in order to remember what on earth she looked like. I made her look like me.


And no, I do not look like this most days, so don't picture Cassie looking like this. At least not in the early books (maybe in the later books, but that's another topic for another time!) I mean, we can't all look that fabulous all the time, now can we? (even I know some people who try.)




In the early books, Cassie (and myself) look more like this. Yeah, except my hair NEVER actually looks this good.




Ah, the wonder of modern technology.
Told you my hair doesn't always look so fabulous!
But, not only does Cass look like me, she's got similiar quarks to mine. For instance.


  • We both like to fancy ourselves as redheads (even when others tell us not)
  • We both have a fear of flying/heights 
  • We both have a fear of thunderstorms
And, especially later in the series, a lot of things that have happened to me (especially senior year) will happen to Cassie because that's what I know. I know the feeling of suffering from a stupid thyroid disease (don't panic! It's not as bad as it sounds), I know the joys and pains of being a party host, I know the feeling of wanting to just graduate and be done with it all.

Cassie the person is a lot like me and that's why I love her so much. She's just enough of me, but a little bit more spunk and she's a lot less fearful of things than I am.

But, honestly, if it weren't for me, I'd have no one to base Cassie on.

Oh, wow, that does sound pretty egotistical. 

Whoops. 

2 Comments:

Hima said...

I know exactly what you mean! Whenever I start on a story, my protagonist is suspiciously like me, or what I like to think is like me.

<3Hima
horcruxesandhallows.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I agree! I have one character, Jennifer, is almost me to a T.

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover