15.3.12

thursday tatics//the dreaded "s" word


SEQUELS! FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING SEQUELS!


Let me explain. 

Monday night, even though I told myself I wouldn't do it at least until I had an agent, if not a publishing deal, I started TA 2. 

That's what it's being called right now. Seriously, TA 2. 

I have, like, two hundred words, maybe?

Only forty-eight thousand and eight hundred more to go, Laura. 

This was not my plan, nor my intention, it kind of just happened. See, in the midst of editing all my stuff on paper, I've had a real urge to open and new word document and just write. And Monday night I did.

The tricky thing is about sequels, especially when it's a sequel to a debut book, is making sure the first book doesn't rely on the sequel, but you can still have a sequel.

For instance, while most of the plot is wrapped up in The Assassin.... you still don't know what happens to....

warning, highlight for spoiler.

Brent after they arrest him. Well, he goes to jail, but do you think that'll stop him? 


You don't know how the story of The Assassin affects Cassie afterword, and in fact, that opening scene of TA 2 is sort of a redemption moment.

But, it's nuts. I've spent so long working on TA, I feel all these great ideas for TA 2 and TA 3 and beyond. So, obviously, I need to find myself an agent and a publishing deal soon so you guys can go buy the books....

I hope.

But, sequels, they're so tricky. You can't repeat too much information or you'll bore your dieheart fans, but if you don't give some information as to what happened in previous books, then new readers will be like "what the heck?!"

That's all. 

3 Comments:

Raven Paramour said...

I know where you are coming from. Sequels are hard to write. You don't want to drown the reader with summary but you want to make sure that they know what is important.

"The tricky thing is about sequels, especially when it's a sequel to a debut book, is making sure the first book doesn't rely on the sequel, but you can still have a sequel." So true.

What I have decided to do for the Departed Innocence saga is the following. Book 1 hints at what could happen with book 2 and book 2 refers or mentions slightly about what happened previously.

Good luck with querying! It can be a long process

Ashley said...

This won't be much help, but if TA 2 is anything like TA 1, you might have a set with the potential to knock Twilight's socks off.

Julie said...

Yay for TA2!!

I've never written a sequel, but I can bet they're super hard because you have to continue something, and keep all the details correct.

TA was amazing, and I bet TA2 will be just as amazing! Good luck with querying!
~Julie

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover