1.3.12

jeez, just a little respect please?

so, you may or may not have heard about the death of conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart. Honestly, I'd never heard of him until this morning when my phone went nuts with tweets telling him to rest in peace.

Which brings me to my topic for today. Respect (or lack there of) for public figures who've recently died.

Listen, I understand that when people die, we have opinions of them. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, I am perfectly fine with that.

But there is a time for criticism and there is a time not for it.

You see it every time celebrities die.

Michael Jackson, people were yelling about his supposed child molesting (personally, I was too young to remember, and frankly, I don't really care). Whitney Houston died a few weeks ago, and people were saying she deserved it because of her drugs and addiction problems.

Seriously? No one deserves this kind of crap right after they die.

This morning when I was reading tweets about Andrew Breitbart, I saw one that said (and I'm paraphrasing)

Thanks for ruining Justin Bieber's birthday, Andrew Breitbart.

I just about threw up in my mouth. Because, seriously? We're going to blame a man who just died (leaving a family behind without him) for ruining Justin Beiber's birthday? I'm pretty sure Justin Beiber doesn't care.

And, I'm not arguing this for conservatives, anytime a public figure dies, you see people going "oh, rest in peace" and "oh, we're praying for your family!"

and then you always have that one person who says the public figure got what he or she deserved for this said flaw or that said flaw.

Guys, these people are human. Yes, you have every right to criticize them, but doing it right after they've died? That's just plain tasteless and rude.

Give them a little bit respect, please, is that too much to ask?

If you've got criticism, save it for a few weeks, then you can go back to bashing them

Just please, not right after they die.

They're human too.

Feel free to post your thoughts/opinions too.

Seriously, conversations are good.

Even if they become debates.


6 Comments:

Rachel.T said...

Thank you very, very much for addressing this. Respect is a word that isn't in a lot of people's vocabulary anymore, and that makes me mad.

Ashley said...

I have no idea who Andrew Breitbart is (I shall wiki him when done posting this comment ) but ruining Beiber's birthday? Yes indeed thank you!! And THAT is truly heart felt.

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

100% behind you.
I felt the same after Amy Winehouse dying, or as you mentioned, Michael Jackson. I hated the jokes that arose the next day, I'm a huge comedy junky but the lack of respect is distasteful.
I think it's best to ignore the negativity and not take part in it - much like trolls on youtube. Have you noticed every single video has a negative comment? Even a little boy playing the ukelele has a negative vote. There are a lot of unfulfilled, bitted people, we should feel compassion for them but not indulge in their bad habits.
Still, good for you for bringing it up! :)

Rachel said...

Love this post. About time someone said somthing about this.

Selina said...

Well said!
~Selina~

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover