19.7.11

Writing Woes--Guest Post by Evie

Hey, all! 'Tis Evie here. Most of you know me, so the short intro: I am Evie. Laura is my friend. We both write. We both blog. We both blog design. And we both love elephants. That is all. :) Visit me here and here and here. Shameless promotion. Muahaha! Sorry, Laura. :D And by the way, I'm totally jealous that she's on vacation and she didn't take me with her. What is the meaning of that nonsense?!

Anyhow, today I'm going to talk about writing woes. A lot of people cover this, but it's different for everyone. All writers have things that stress them out or make them discouraged. For me, there are three that screw with me and make me not want to write.

1. I'm way too much of a perfectionist. I edit everything I read from published books to works-in-progress to the subtitles on TV. So, naturally, while I write, I think every sentence I type sucks monkey butt. This makes me extremely frustrated, and it's one of the main reasons I stopped writing at all for about eight months. Close to quitting again because of these shenanigans, but trying not to.

2. I'm one of those people who doesn't like doing things for "no reason." Sure, I like to write, but if it isn't going to do anything but sit on my computer, I'm like, "What's the point?" I know most of what I write isn't what the publishing world wants, or those piles of rejections are just -____-. It's mainly the discouragement we writers face that puts a damper in my mood.

3. Being the editor while everyone else gets published. Not gonna lie, I hate the feeling and thought of just being on the acknowledgement page. It always makes me wonder why I can edit for everyone, but can't get a foot in the door somewhere. I always think, If I'm good enough to edit for actual authors, why am I not good enough to become one? Don't get me wrong, I love to edit my friends' projects--love it, and I feel honored--but it's one of the main reasons I won't edit stuff by those I don't know too well. Gets me extremely discouraged.

Those are three of my woes that hold me back a lot. Not everyone has the same woes. For some, it's the editing stage, or development, or description, or maybe you even see a book published that's just like yours. What are some of your woes?

post signature

1 Comment:

Paige said...

Aw, great post Evie! Def don't stop writing, that would be terrible because you are an amazing writer, the world just doesn't see it yet!

I mean you had a few projects in the top five on inkpop, so you are not bad at all! Do not stop writing! Never give up, I know it's hard.

I think you'll be a best selling author someday! I have faith in you. You just gotta wait until the right publishing company comes along haha.

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover