5.7.11

Not Surprised

Is it bad if I say the verdict in the Casey Anthony trial didn't really shock me? Here's a few reasons why....

Picture from Fox News
  • the prosecution didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt; all their evidence was circumstantial. They had no crime scene, they had no way to know what exactly happened, no confession, no nothing. It was just bits of pieces of things that sorta fit together.
  • The defense did exactly what they were supposed to.... which is essentially nothing. The burden of proof lies on the prosecution. 
  • The jury did what a jury is supposed to do. They didn't listen to their emotions when they decided. They looked at the evidence.
  • And, about the "false information" charges. Those make sense, yeah, she lied, but that doesn't make her a murderer. One of those charges could have been for telling them she worked at Universal. Stuff like that is what she was proven guilty of...
But, yeah, I do believe she was guilty, but the prosecution just didn't have enough to make her look guilty. 
The worst part is.... If she confesses to murdering her daughter now, there isn't a damned thing anyone can do about it. 
And, we can be mad about it, I know most people are, but the jury was only doing their job and what they thought was right. Nothing we can do about that. 
But, I just hope that she knows that God will ultimately judge her accordingly when it comes time, and poor little Caylee, what she went through, whether it really was an accidental drowning or if her mom really did murder her. She should still be here. <3

Photo from Babble.com
post signature

11 Comments:

Autumn said...

*Shakes head* I, personally, thought that she was guilty, but I agree. The jury did what they were supposed to do, and if she really did kill Caylee, well...

Lala said...

Yeah, that's what I hate about these things. People let emotions control everything. But the trial wasn't about if they thought she was guilty, it was about if she was proven guilty. Still sucks...

Bianca McCray said...

Agreed. I have to agree now that there wasn't enough evidence. Even after studying this case along with them for nearly 3 years. And it sucks about no double jeopardy. And Caylee's in a better place now.

Autumn said...

It does suck. Extremely. This is one of the main reasons why I decided not to pursue law...I don't want to defend someone when I know that they're guilty.

Lala said...

@Bianca yeah, it sucks. It really does. But, I mean, for all we know, she really could be innocent, everyone has just already decided she's guilty.
@Autumn same here, same here.

Evie J said...

The prosecution kicked butt with what they had to go with, if you ask me. Their closing argument was fantastic. What the jury didn't have was common sense, in my opinion. Why find her guilty of covering up something she didn't do? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. And no one takes an accident and makes it look like a murder. That doesn't make any sense. Besides, the jury didn't even need a unanimous poll. It could have been 7 to 5. I will forever be angry with the jury.

Just...that poor baby girl. R.I.P. Caylee, you're loved!

And did anyone see her parents? They just walked out of the courtroom after the verdict, without any emotion. Seems like they were pretty angry, to me. haha!

Lala said...

But, what they had wasn't enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
And, honestly, I think Casey Anthony is not mentally stable, which would explain a lot of what she did, but that's just an opinion.....
And that poor little girl. Regardless of what happened to her, she should still be here, but Bianca is right, she's in a better place now.
I missed her parents walking out, they released a statement saying they were thankful for the closure....

Lala said...

The funny thing for me is.... When my mom and I watched it today, I was sitting there going "she could walk, she could walk" and my mom was like "no, she's gonna be found guilty." And a week ago I told my mom "She has a chance of getting acquitted."
My mom was totally shocked that I was right and she was wrong. :P

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I admit to being surprised about the outcome, but I guess I shouldn't have been.

Interestingly enough, I was recently re-reading the Scott Peterson/Laci case, and there were some similarities: Authorities couldn't prove how she died or even when she died. Scott lied repeatedly and showed no grief for his missing/presumed dead wife. But the jury found him guilty.

In the end, it comes down to the 12 people picked to decide your fate and what they think constitutes enough evidence. And the more I think about it, that's pretty scary.

If Nancy Grace hadn't blown this up into such a big story, jury selection wouldn't have been so difficult, and it might have been 12 other people. Same case; possibly different outcome. Who knows?

Evie J said...

@Laura: See, they should have pulled that card. Send her to a mental ward, because she's clearly sick. I was talking about that with my dad earlier.

Lala said...

@Evie, if they pulled that card, they'd have to plead guilty by reason of insanity. She pleaded not guilty.
But, damn, that would have been interesting....

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover