13.7.11

Book Review - 1984



1984 By George Orwell



The Year 1984 has come and gone, but George Orwell's prophetic, nightmarish vision in 1949 of the world we were becoming is timelier than ever. 1984  is still the great modern class of "negative utopia" - a startlingly original and haunting novel that creates an imiaginary world that is completely convincing, from the first sentence to the last four words. No one can deny the novel's hold on the imaginations of whole generations, or the power of its admonitions - a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.

Pages: 326
First thoughts: This was the other book I read for summer reading, and I was looking foward to this a whole lot more than Pride and Prejudice. My friend has already read the book and gave me a brief overview of the book, since the summary doesn't actually tell you what it's about.
Writing style: I love the way Orwell set up his society with the Party and Big Brother and thoughtcrimes. The thoughtcrimes were the think that really got me. There was one part where Winston, the main character, was talking to a man who'd gone to jail for thoughtcrime. The man had been ratted on by his seven year old daughter, but he wasn't mad! Crazy, no wonder they weren't allowed to think!
Plot: Both of the books I had to read for English were basically love stories. This one was executed much better. There was an engaging plot with a society that you'd never heard of. Winston's love for Julia (his lover, duh) was forbidden  in fact, sex was basically looked upon as a chore to make the population grow. But not to them.
Characters: Winston Smith. His name was boring on purpose. You don't want anything too crazy here. In London, you want to be just a normal citizen with a normal name. How much more normal can you get besides Smith? But, Winston was a cool guy. Orwell showed him as a man struggling to obey by society's rules until Julia came around.
Overall: I really liked this book, I wish I could have read it faster so I didn't forget the details, but I had a conference this weekend, so that didn't happen. If you're looking to write dystopian fiction, this is, like, the original dystopia!

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover