18.6.11

Short Snippet Saturday




I kicked at Sean but he side-stepped me and I fell to the ground. I managed to grab his shirt and he fell down with me.
            He tried to break free from me with a hard push across the grass, but I had his shirt in a death grip and I wasn’t going to let go.
            “Jesus, Morgan, let go,” he yelled.
            The other guy grabbed me and picked me up off the ground. “Let’s go,” he said.
            “No.”
            “Look, missy, you’re coming with us whether you want to or not.” The guy pulled me across the lawn and shoved me into the back of the van.
            The door slammed shut and I jumped up, pounding at the window. “Let me out of here!”
            “No,” Sean said. “You just shut up, Morgan. There is no way I’m going to let you out now. You know way too much and you will go talk to the police if I don’t stop you. I don’t want to kill you, but if this gets leaked, I will.”
            He stared at me, and for a moment, I completely believed him. He would kill me if I wasn’t quiet. So, it was obvious, I’d be quiet.
            But, I couldn’t be. Someone’s life was at stake, and it wasn’t mine. I wasn’t the one who decided whether or not to let the governor live.
            “Let’s go.” The guy turned the van on and started to pull away from the curb. I looked out the window and sighed. Was I really being kidnapped?
            I buried my face in my hands and bit back a sob. Then, I realized my phone was in my pocket. I still had a chance of escaping and warning the police.
            “Hand it to me,” Sean said. He leaned over his seat and held his hand out expectedly.
            “Hand you what?”
            “Hand me the phone, Morgan. Or, I will come and take it from you.”    
            My face fell. How did he know? He couldn’t know.
            “I don’t have my phone. It’s up in my bedroom.”
            “Liar, it’s in your pocket.” He pointed to the pocket and sure enough, you could see the bulge where my phone was.
            I looked at him and then I looked at the window. I rolled the van window down and threw my phone out the window. It shattered when it hit a mailbox and tiny pieces of glass and plastic hit the car as it sped by.
            Sean stared at me for a moment, shocked. “I can’t believe you just did that.”
            I met his glare and didn’t look down. “Well, I did.”
            The guy laughed. “Rick, shut up,” Sean said.
            “She’s pretty funny, it’s a shame we have to kidnap her,” he said.
            “No, it isn’t,” Sean said. “We have to make sure she doesn’t tell the police.”
            “See, I don’t know why you would think I’d tell the police,” I said. The guy laughed again. I could use his sense of humor to my advantage. If I could figure out how to use it.
            “That’s not the point,” Rick said. “I’m just pointing out that she’s funny. Is that a crime?”
            Sean just shot him a nasty look. “Would you be quiet?”
            “No,” Rick said. “I’m the one in charge of this operation, I’ll decide when I want to be quiet or not.”
            Sean just turned back around to the front and sulked.
            I sat there in the back, trying not to roll around too much. There weren’t any seats, so I was forced to sit on the floor.
            We’d reached the end of the neighborhood and we’d come to the main street in town.
            “Duck down, Morgan,” Sean said.
            “Why?” I asked.
            “We don’t want anyone seeing you back there.”
            He was crazy if he thought I was going to lie down in the back of the van. “No.”
            He looked back at me. “Excuse me?”
            “You heard me, Sean. I said ‘no.’”
            “I heard what you said, but I don’t care if you don’t want to, Morgan. Just get down there.”
            “No,” I said again. “I am not going to lie down on the floor. If someone sees me, then they’ll see me.”
            “Don’t make me come back there,” he said.
            “You sound like my mother.”
            Rick laughed in his seat. “She’s right; you do sound like a mom.”
            “Thank you,” I said.
            “I didn’t ask you, Rick,” Sean said. “And, don’t roll your eyes at me.”
            “I’ll roll my eyes at whoever I want to,” Rick said.
            The two started arguing and yelling at each other. I slid over towards the door, and seeing that the van was unlocked, I threw the door open and jumped out.
            “You think you-Hey! Morgan, get back here!” Sean called out. But by the time they realized I was gone, I was halfway down Main Street, running just to put space between us.
            There was a McDonalds up ahead that I had my eye on. It was the middle of the day with kids running in and out of the place. Surely I could hide in there. I mean, there’d be people everywhere getting lunch, playing on the playground.
            I didn’t look back. I just ran. When I finally made it to McDonalds, I ran for the playground room, where there were kids at every turn. If I could just blend in, Rick and Sean would never notice me.
            “Hey, you’re too old to be here,” a boy said.
            “Listen, kid, I don’t have time to listen to you tell me that I’m too old to be here. I’m trying to hide from some people.”
            “Why are you hiding from people?”
            “Because they aren’t very nice.”
            “Are they bad?” Another kid came up and stood next to the boy.
            “Yes, they are very bad.” I felt like a teacher, standing up in front of her class lecturing her students on bad guys. “That’s not the point though. The point is I need to hide from them.”
            “You can hide up there,” the boy said. He pointed to the tube at the top of the play scape.
            You’ve got to be kidding me, I thought. Those things were gross and unsanitary. Kids probably puked in them.
            “You check McDonalds, I’ll check Starbucks,” Rick yelled from outside.
            “Alright, let’s go,” I said.
            The kids followed me and gave me directions as I tried to navigate through the stupid tunnels.
            We finally made it to the top where I could see Sean in the dining area. He was trying to avoid little kids as he looked around.
            “Do you want us to go down and distract the bad guys?” the little boy asked.
            “No, what’s your name by the way?” I asked.
            “I’m Carter, and I really wanna beat up a bad guy.”
            “Not this bad guy, Carter, trust me,” I said. “Just go down the slide and ask like you don’t know me. If he stops you and asks you, tell him you don’t know me, okay?”
            He nodded. “See ya later,” I said. Thankfully, he picked up the hint and crawled away.
            I could see Sean walking into the play ground area. He looked up at the top, and for a moment when our eyes met, I thought he knew it was me.
            But he looked away, and I sighed in relief.
            He didn’t know it was me, and I was safe.
            For now.
            

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover