12.5.11

Writing Time Thursdays - Point of View

Point of View:
The two most commonly used POV's are third and first. 
Third person is he, she, and They, where first is "I." Personally, I like first person, and here's a few reasons why.

  • In first person, you get inside their mind.
  • People think in first person, so it's natural.

Third person seems so.... wooden to me. I've gotten so picky, that I almost refuse to read a book that is written in third. Now, don't get me wrong, there are good third person books.... and here's a few:


 




But, besides these few, it almost always has to be from an author I already like in order for me to read a third person story. 
First person seems more natural, and when I open up a word document, first person just flows out. The voice in first person is more distinct, like, some of Cassie Dreandry's best lines wouldn't work in third person. In some of the earlier drafts, there's one point where Cassie, to put her role as the Assassin in perspective says 
"You see, I have an alter ego. Sort of like Hannah Montana, except my alter ego doesn't sing. She kills people."

A line like that just wouldn't have the same appeal in third person, at least in my opinion. I mean, if I convert it into third person, it'd be something like:

Cassie had an alter ego. Her alter ego was like Hannah Montana, but instead of singing, her alter ego killed people.

Can you say a snoozer or what? I mean, I have a very sarcastic writing tone that I use a lot, and sarcasm just doesn't run as well in third person as it does first person.
I mean, humans think in first person, and it just flows better. And, remember, this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree.... So, here are some of my favorite first person books.


love, lala

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover