6.5.11

Short Snippet Saturday

Today's short snippet Saturday is from Super Ordinary! Enjoy!

            He hadn’t really put up much of a fight now that I thought about it. He almost seemed relieved to have me coming with him. Maybe just because I was a person, maybe he didn’t want to get lonely. Or maybe he figured I’d be entertainment, but besides the reasons why, I was just glad he agreed.
            He was driving, not saying a word. Rob was totally focused on the road ahead of him. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say he had probably forgotten that I was even in the car with him.
            He seemed perfectly comfortable in the silence, while, I on the other hand, I was going crazy by it. He was calm and relaxed; I was twiddling my thumbs in anxiety.
            “Are you okay?” he asked.
            I looked up at him. “Who, me?”
            “You would be the only other person in the car, so, yes, you.”
            “Oh, right. Yeah, I’m just not a fan of silence, that’s all.” I shrugged; hoping to make it look like that was all that was bugging me. In truth, there was so much that I didn’t know, and that was the thing eating me at the core.
            Like everything I didn’t know about Rob.
            “You can turn the radio on,” he said, gesturing to the dashboard.
            “I don’t listen to music anymore,” I said.
            “Oh, why not?” he asked.
            “I guess when I was out on the streets, I didn’t have music to listen to, and now I just don’t know any of the music anymore, so no point in listening.”
            “Oh, yeah. I don’t listen to music much either. Just some classical stuff.”
            I looked up and laughed at him. “Classical music?” I shook my head. “Who listens to classical music anymore?”
            “I do.” He grinned. “Do you have a problem with that?”
            “No, that just seems weird. I’d never think you’d listen to classical music.”
            “Well then, what would you think I’d listen to?”
            Oh, he had me there. I had no idea. “Uh….”
            Back to the silence. Back to the agony.
            “So, Lani, are you ever going to tell me what exactly happened to you when I found you in the closet?” he asked.
            I froze. Did he really just ask me that? I mean, I figured he wouldn’t even care. But the real question was, did I actually tell him the truth and risk him getting mad at me? Or did I lie and still risk him getting mad at me?
            Uh.
            “Nope,” I said. I watched his face, and I could feel myself getting tense inside.
            “Okay then,” he said.
            I wanted to tell him. I wanted to so badly, but, Rob already thought I was strange; I didn’t need him to think I was even stranger.
            But, the truth was, I didn’t want him to just think I was like everyone else involved with the robbery gone wrong. Those guys had done it for the fame and money; I had done it for the money to be able to survive.
            And look where that got me.
            “Why not?”
            “What?” I asked.
            “Why won’t you tell me?”        
            “Who do you think you are, my mother?” I snapped back. It wasn’t any of his business as to why I was in that closet.
            “Well, no, but I figured, since I did rescue you and all, you could at least give me some sort of explanation as to why you were in the closet to begin with.”
            Ouch. He had me there. But, I couldn’t tell him, I just couldn’t.
            “Lani, I think it’s only fair to warn you, I will find out one way or another. You can’t keep this a secret from me forever.”
            Yikes. Was he giving me an ultimatum? “Rob, I don’t have to tell you anything.”
            “Oh, you don’t have to tell me. I’ll find out from other sources. One of those men showed up and confessed as we were leaving. I haven’t had time to look at what he said, but I’m sure he’ll tell me why you were in that closet.”
            I fought the urge to swallow. “Who confessed?”
            “A man named Felix, I believe.” He glanced over at me and I could see in his eyes he knew I was panicking.
            He was calm and totally in control, just making me sweat and squirm like a pig. And, he almost seemed to be enjoying it, that is, if Rob ever enjoyed anything.
            “Oh, Felix? Haha,” I laughed. “I wouldn’t take much stock in what he says. He’s not all that smart. Just wanted to be all ‘badass’ and whatnot.”
            “Oh, so you do know this Felix person?”
            Shit….
            “Well, I mean, sort of, kind of…. Not really.”
            “Would you like to choose an answer?”
            “No, not really,” I said.
            He shook his head like he couldn’t believe he was stuck with me. “You positive?”
            “Yeah, I’m positive that I don’t want to tell you whether I know this Felix guy or not.”
            He just shook his head some more.
            “You know, you keep shaking your head like that, and you’re gonna start killing some brain cells.”
            He stopped with the head shaking and just glared at me, but I could tell he was trying not to laugh. “You…. I don’t even know what to do with you.”
            “Well, I’d really like it if you didn’t kill me.”
            “Why would I do that?” he asked.
            Because I’m one of the bad guys. “Oh, I don’t know. You looked pretty annoyed, and you seem like you might want to kill someone who annoys you.”
            “I do?” He had an amused look on his face.
            “Yeah, you do. I mean, I wouldn’t actually know if you are that kind of person, but it’s always a possibility.”
            “Oh,” he said. “I mean, I’m not supposed to kill anyone, but sometimes the rules can’t apply to the situation,” he said.
            “That’s totally understandable,” I said.
            “But, for the record, I haven’t killed anyone. Yet, at least,” he said.
            I just really hoped I wasn’t the first one.

1 Comment:

Mariella Cecilia Catherine-Rose Hunt said...

Hey! I tagged you in a blog meme if you want to do it! :)
http://mariellahunt.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/i-was-tagged-so-here-goes/
And I'm adding you to my blogroll tonight--sorry I took forever! I haven't been on that much. :)

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover