16.4.11

Short Snippet Saturday

Short Snippet time! Today's is another one from The Assassin, and, this is a scene I hold very dear to my heart. It's the introduction of a certain character. Hope you enjoy!

I looked up when Lorraine Benson walked in. She sat down in front of me, blocking the board. Lorraine more or less ran the school. Her dad was a high ranking defense attorney, and she established herself in the school by that. Her dad had all the wealth and money. And she had all the things that every girl wanted: the clothes, the boys, and the popularity.
            But, I couldn’t stand her, and I didn’t want everything she had. Back when I’d moved to New York in sixth grade, Lorraine had been the first person to let everyone else know that just because I was the new kid didn’t mean I was someone worth fretting over. And, because she had everyone wrapped around her finger, the grade deserted me to listen to her, and Mia was the one person who’d been left, and now, she was my best friend.
            “Oh, Cassie, can you pass this to Jake back there?” Lorraine asked. She placed an envelope on my desk. It was pink, and had the word “Jake” written on it in glitter. I almost felt sorry for Jake.
            “Sure,” I said. I turned around to hand it to him. Based on the heart stickers, I’d assume Lorraine was saying she wanted to make up with him. It was only common knowledge that they broke up every week.
            I placed it on his desk and turned back around. Then it hit me. I spun back around to see a guy sitting there. “Yeah, um, I’m not Jake,” he said.
            “No, I hadn’t figured that out.” I picked up the envelope and dropped it on Lorraine’s lap. “He’s not here right now, so you’ll have to wait.”
            “What do you mean he’s not-” She stopped when she saw the boy sitting in Jake’s seat. Good, I wasn’t the only one who noticed. “Hi there, I’m Lorraine,” she said with her thousand-watt smile.
            She reached across my desk and held her hand out. “Hi,” he said, taking her hand. “Seth.” He let go of her hand and discretely wiped his hand on his jeans.
            I bit my lip to hold back the laugh. “And, who are you?” he asked, leaning forward in the desk.
            “I’m-”
            “Alright, class, today we’re going to learn about participles,” Mrs. Hinkley said as she walked into the room.
            “I’ll talk to you later, Toots,” Seth said.
            “Miss Dreandry, please, pay attention.” I swung around to see her at the board. “Whatever you could possibly be talking about can wait until the end of class.”
            “Yes, ma’am.”
            “Oh, excuse me. Class, I forgot to tell you, we have a new student today. His name is Seth. Mr. Edwards, will you please come to the front of the class and introduce yourself?”
            He slid out of his seat and walked up to the front of the class. He stood there, scanned the classroom for a moment before he began. “Hey, I’m Seth. Um, just moved up here from Texas with my sister who’s doing a Broadway show. I’m hoping to be here a while, and Toots is totally checking me out over there,” he said, turning to me and winking. “And, that’s about it.”
            He walked past me, but I just stood there, staring at the spot he’d just been standing in. Me? I was not checking him out. Was I? I couldn’t be. There was no way.
            And did he really just call me Toots? I mean, he’d said so before, but up in front of the class? Wasn’t that just a little mean?
            Mrs. Hinkley just stood off to the side, just as speechless as I was, though I didn’t see why. I mean, some boy hadn’t just called her out for checking him out in front of the class. Some boy she’d known for five minutes, none the less.
            After a moment of awkwardness, with kids shuffling papers, and one sharpening his pencil, Mrs. Hinkley finally walked back to the middle of the classroom. “Thank you, Mr. Edwards, for your introduction,” she said. “Anyways, class…”
            I missed most of the lesson; I was still trying to figure out what he meant. He’d really just called me out like that? Why?
            As she wrote the assignment on the board, I turned around and looked at him. “What was that for?” I asked.
            “What?” he asked, with an ultra na├»ve look on his face.
            “You know exactly what I’m talking about,” I said. “Why?” I asked. “Do you always go around to new schools and embarrass girls on the first day?”
            “Oh, did I embarrass you? I’m sorry.” He grinned, clearly enjoying this. “And, not all of them, just the feisty ones.” 

2 Comments:

Seattlelover7 said...

YESSSS. SETH. *-*

Wendy Higgins said...

Cute blog layout.
Thanks for sharing the scene - me likey Seth, lol. :)

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover