23.4.11

Short Snippet Saturday - The Assassin

Here's another short snippet Saturday, picking up right where last week's left off! Enjoy!

“Miss Dreandry, please, how many times do I have to ask you? Pay attention, next time, I will refer you to the office.”
            “No worries, Mrs. Hinkley, it was my fault,” Seth said. “I just had a question and asked her.”
            Mrs. Hinkley stood there for a moment/ “If you say so, Mr. Edwards, you can raise your hand next time you have a question and I will be more than happy to answer it for you.”
            “Yes, ma’am.”
            I spent the rest of class making sure I didn’t look behind me. I didn’t want to give him any reason to think I was “checking him out.” Because, I mean, I certainly was not checking him out. Okay, so, yeah, he had these deep, light blue eyes, and light brown hair that contrasted well with the eyes. Not that I’d spent an excessive amount of time looking at him to know.
            When the bell rang forty-five minutes later, I grabbed my bag and tried to leave before he could catch up with me. “Hey, wait up!” He called.
            It didn’t take a genius to know he was talking to me, but I didn’t wait up. Better not to be accused of something ridiculous again. I turned the sharp corner to my locker and started to work on the lock. I saw him coming out of the corner of my eyes, but I didn’t look back, and instead I focused on the locker combination. Forty-three, nineteen, thirty-three. The locker snapped open and I shoved my English binder in.
            “Hey, did you not hear me?” he asked.
            “Oh, were you talking to me?” I tried to plaster on my little, innocent face. “Sorry, I guess I didn’t hear you.”
            “Ah, nice try, Toots, but, you heard me and we both know it.”
            “Um, actually, I didn’t. And don’t call me Toots,” I said, slamming my locker door.
            “Jeez, Cassie, what’s your problem?” Aaron, who’s locker was next to mine, asked.
            “Well, I was going to say I don’t know your name, but Cassie?” he asked, almost like he was afraid I’d say “no” or something.
            “Yeah, I’m Cassie,” I said.
            “Well, what class do you have next?” he asked. It was hard to think as he gazed at me with those intense blue eyes, but it wasn’t hard to notice other kids stopping and staring, wondering why the new boy would talk to Cassie Dreandry.
            “I…I…I have history,” I managed to spit out. “I gotta go, you know, only five minutes between classes.”
            “Oh, yeah, right.” He looked down at his schedule and I left him there standing in the middle of the hallway, without even a “see ya’ later” or anything.
            Mia and I had history together, she even sat in front of me. When I slid into my seat, Mia turned around. “Did you hear? There’s a new kid in our grade!”
            “Yeah, he’s in my English class.”
            “He is?” she cried. Mia: always the one to know the first on everything. She leaned down and whispered, “is he cute?”
            “Well, I mean-”
            “Oh, never mind, I forgot, you don’t notice that stuff.” She flipped her hair back over her shoulder. “God, I hope I have a class with him.”
            “Why? I mean, he’s just a new kid, it’s not all that great,” I said, remembering the move from Texas to New York in sixth grade. “Oh, and, he is cute.”
            I leaned down to grab my binder as Mia stared at me, shocked. “You think he’s cute?” she giggled.
            “Sh!” I cried. “You don’t need to tell the whole world!”
            “But, it’s cute!” Mia said. “Did he talk to you?”
            “Sadly.”
            “What do you mean?” she asked.
            “He’s a jerk. He embarrassed me in front of the whole class.”
            “Oh, please how bad could it be?”
            If only she knew. I had a tough reputation for not taking interest in boys, and they didn’t take interest in me. Not that it mattered, much, anyways. I didn’t want to date any of the boys in my school.
            “Cassie, is that the new boy?” she asked. She pointed toward the door and when I looked up to see, he saw me and waved.
            “Yes,” I whispered. “That’d be him.”
            “Heya, Toots,” he said. “Does anyone sit here?” he asked, nodding to the desk next to mine.
            “Actually, someone-”
            “No. No one sits there,” Mia said.
            I turned around and shot her a dirty look. She should have known that I wouldn’t want him to sit next to me, but she still told him to sit there! She caught my look and flashed a fake smile to me that said you’ll thank me later.  Somehow, I couldn’t ever see myself thanking her for letting Seth Edwards sit next to me.
            “Cool then,” he said. He put his books down on the desk and sat down next to me. “Is that okay if I sit here?” he asked me.
            “I don’t care,” I said.
            He grinned at me. “I’m sure you do care, but if you want to tell yourself you don’t, go right ahead.”
            Mia giggled and I gave her another nasty look.
            “Just ignore him, Cass,” she said.

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover