5.3.11

Short Snippet Saturday #7

Short Snippet Saturday time! Today is the beginning of chapter three from Super Ordinary. I'm working on chapter four, and after I finish this chapter, my plan is to upload all of what I have a post it on the excerpts page so you can read all of it without having to find all the separate posts.

Also, probably starting at the beginning of April, I'll start doing a weekly or bi-weekly writing series. Like the Short Snippet Saturdays.... But the thing is, I need to know what you guys want me to talk about. So.... Some of y'all are friends with me on facebook, so you could tell me there, email me, or click here (The Assassin Saga Facebook Page)here (my author facebook page), or here (Lala Land facebook page) and tell me what you want me to write about. You can also leave a comment on this post.
So, here's the short snippet for the week.
Enjoy!

            “Lani, let me tell you something.” He stood up and walked across the room to close the door. “You are never going to get out of here, not unless Will lets you.”
            “Why does Will have to let me? Why can’t you let me?”
            He looked down at me. And then he laughed. “Because Will’s in charge. He runs everything here, and it’s quiet obvious that he’s taken an attraction to you, to say the least. He’s in charge, there’s no way in hell he’ll let you just ride off into the sunset.”
            “So, no one else can let me out? Not even late at night?”
            “No one is going to go against Will’s ruling. And if you ask him, I’ll guarantee you he’ll say ‘no.’ He likes to abuse his power.”
            “Well, can’t you just, I don’t know, rebel as a group and kick him out of power.”
            “No.”
            “Why not?” I asked.
            I could tell I was pushing his buttons, but I was willing to take the fury. There was something strange about the whole superhero society, and I was eager to find out what made it that way.
            “Because I’m the only one who doesn’t like him,” he said after a moment. “Will’s the golden boy, the boy that everyone loves.”
            I could have sworn he muttered something like “everything I’m not.”  Then again, I could have just imagined it.
            “Why are you here, anyways? I mean, you seem to hate them all, and-”
            “Let me guess, Will gave you the ‘Rob’s a freak’ speech.” He glared at me, over his shoulder.
            “Doesn’t mean I believe it.”
            He turned around and looked at me. Surprise this time. “You…you don’t?” he asked.
            “Why should I? I don’t think you’re a ‘freak.’ I mean, freak is simply an opinionated word, and I don’t like Will’s opinion.”
            “Wow.” He said after a moment. Then some awkward silence. “Thanks, I guess.”
            “For what?” I asked.
            “For not believing everything Will says. You’d be the first since I got here.”
            “No problem. So, are you going to help me get out of here?”
            He sighed and shook his head. “You don’t catch on fast, do you? You can’t. You think I’d still be here if it were possible?”
            Eh, he had a good point, but I’d never been one to be told it couldn’t be done and just accept it. I’d always had to break the rules to get what I want.
            And what I wanted was out. “Bet you fifty bucks I’ll get out.”
            He looked at me with a crooked grin on his face. “Are you serious?” He crossed his arms across his chest and leaned against the wall. “You really think you’ll get out?”
            “Yeah, and I won’t get caught.”
            “Alright, fifty dollars says you’ll get caught within the first twenty-four hours.”
            “In the first twenty-four hours?” I asked. “You’re on. I happen to be a professional-” I stopped. I couldn’t tell him I was a professional criminal. That hiding from authority figures had become second nature.
            “You’re a professional what?” he asked.
            “Nothing. But, you’re still on.” I held my hand out and he shook it.
            “Good luck. I hope you’ve got fifty bucks stashed somewhere.”
            “I won’t need it.” I walked out of his room, certain to win our bet. As soon as I figured out how to get out of there.
            “Oh,” he called out as he walked to his door. “Did I mention that you won’t be able to get out of here?”
            “Wait and see, Rob. Wait and see.”
            He just shook his head again. “Whatever.”

            I took a deep breath. It was only three stories. I could handle three stories. I mean, it was just a long jump. Sure, I’d probably break my arm, or leg, or some other limb that I didn’t know I had, but I wanted out.
            I took a deep breath and-
            “Lani, what the hell are you doing?”
            I almost fell off, and thought the worse. Until I realized I hadn’t actually fallen. “What do you want?” I hissed in the dark.
            “You aren’t serious about escaping, are you?”
            “Yes, I am. You can come with me, but this is your last chance.”
            “Nice try,” he said. Before I could react, he’d grabbed me by the arm and yanked me off the ledge of the window. “You’re not getting away that easily.”
            I fell over on top of him, but in the moment of awkwardness, he was completely unfazed. He simply set me to the side, like it was all in day’s work.
            “And why not?”
            “Because, if you escape, they’ll just catch you. We aren’t superheroes because we sit around all day.”
            “Oh, yeah? Well, I’ll get out. Whether it’s when you leave my room, or two days from now, I will escape. There is nothing you can do about that.”
            “Alright, then I’ll just stay here tonight.”
            What?!” I cried. “You can’t just stay here all night. You….” But he could. I mean, who was going to stop him?
            He leaned against the railing and crossed his arms. “You sure about that?”
            “Hmph,” I said as I walked back into the bedroom. “Just go away.”
            “Nice try. I’m not leaving.”
            “Wait, shouldn’t you want me to go out there?” I asked. “I mean, if I do get caught, which I’m not saying I will, you’d win.”
            The little grin that had been playing across the corner of his mouth froze. I’d caught him in his own trap. He looked down, and I could have sworn he was trying to hide from me.
            “That’s not important. The point is, do you know what will happen if they catch you? People will start to wonder why you escaped, and they’ll get suspicious, and then, Will will have an investigation ordered into your background. If there is anything you’re hiding from us, and I’m pretty sure you are, it will come out when they catch you.”
            I fought the urge to swallow. Yikes, my whole entire past? Exposed because they caught me? Panic began to build up in me and I fought the urge to scream. Instead, I took a deep breath and looked Rob up in the eye. “I’ve got nothing to hide. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m leaving.”
            I tried to get my foot up onto the balcony, but Rob simply picked me up and dropped me back onto the ground. “You aren’t getting away with this, so quit trying.”
            I walked back to my bed and flopped down on it, in a act of defeat. But, I knew it would only be a few hours before he fell asleep, and then I’d make my escape.

            It was completely dark. I couldn’t even see my hand when I waved it in front of my face. This was going to be a problem.
            I could hear him breathing softly, and evenly. He was asleep. Just the way I needed it.
            I gave my eyes some time to adjust to the darkness and then I stood up. Instead of jumping off the balcony, I decided I was going to go out the door, downstairs, and hopefully out the front doors. At least that was my plan.
            I tip-toed to the door and opened it. I froze when it squeaked. I turned my head, listening to Rob. He was still asleep, thank God.
            Five minutes later, which seemed like a lifetime, I was finally outside. It was cool outside, and I regretted not having a jacket. It was the first time I was outside of the building and I was shocked by what I saw. It was a forest.
They didn’t even exist anymore. All the forests had been knocked down because they stood in the way of development. Trees were planted in the middle of medians on the sides of the roads. Not in bunches like this.
            Now, I was really screwed. I had no idea how to navigate my way out of the forest. It all looked the same. Maybe Rob was right, maybe I was going to get caught.
            Who knows how long I spent looking, wandering, for something or someone. Then I heard it.
            The unmistakable sound of dogs, barking. Then shouting. Was it….
            It was Will.
            Shit, I can’t get caught, I thought. I ran to a tree and looked it up and down, I needed to get up it.
            I tried to climb, my foot in the little cut where kids had probably climbed it before, but I got halfway up, reached for the branch and missed.
            The ground hurt, I won’t lie. The ground was tough, I wasn’t. I had landed on my arm and I was afraid to move it. I’d probably broken it.
            “Hey, Will, over here!” It was Rob, there was no doubt about that. And he was getting close.
            The grass around the tree was tall, so I was covered by that at least. But Rob was easily six-one or six-two.
            I heard the footsteps, closer and closer. “Alright, Lani,” I heard him whisper. “I know you’re out here somewhere. I’m going to find you.”
            I wanted to cry, so badly, but if I cried, I’d be doomed. Rob would find me for sure. Even though, I’d much rather have him find me than Will, I told myself.
            A giant foot landed just inches away from my face. “I believe you owe me, Lani.”

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover