19.2.11

Short Snippet Saturday #5

Sorry for the lack of updates this week. I caught some undetermined illness this week and have been out of it. I've got a croaky voice and it's just a mess.
Today's Short snippet Saturday is where last week's left off. The opening of chapter two for Super Ordinary. This is after Lani is discovered in the closet.
Hope you enjoy!

When I woke up and saw the faces all staring at me, I knew it was going to be a bad day. I glared at the people, rolled around, and tried to go back to sleep.
“Watch her to make sure she doesn’t do anything stupid,” a man said.
I heard footsteps fade away into silence and I sat there, staring at the wall.
“I know you’re awake,” he said. It was the guy from the closet. The guy who’d thrown the box at me.
I rolled around and looked at him. “Your point?” I asked.
“My point is that acting like you’re asleep won’t do you any good. Everyone is watching you anyways.”
“That’s a little creepy,” I said.
“Well, guess what, you’re gonna have to get over it. You’ve got to get up.”
Jeez, who woke up on the wrong side of the bed?
I stuck my tongue out at him and closed my eyes in hopes of catching more sleep.
Before I knew it, I was on the ground, with my blanket in his hand. “What was that for?” I cried.
“Get up. He wants to talk to you.”
Uh, who was he?
When I laid there on the floor, determined not to get up, he simply yanked me by my arm and before I knew it I was standing up, next to him. “You don’t take ‘no’ for an answer, do ya?”
He didn’t answer me, obviously not taken by my humor. “Okay then,” I said under my breath.
“Don’t look at the people,” he said.
“What?” I asked. Don’t look at them? What else was I supposed to do?
“No one knows why you’re here, they aren’t supposed to, staring at them only makes it worse.”
“Whatever,” I said. “Who are you anyways? And why am I here?”
“You’ll find out in a moment.” He still had his hands gripping my arm, and it was starting to hurt.
“You can let go of my arm,” I said.
“You aren’t going to run?” he asked me, turning around to face me.
“Look, I have no idea who you are, where I am, or why! Running seems kind of pointless, don’t you think?”
He stood there for a moment, debating my point. “I suppose so,” he said. “Follow me.”
I followed him down the hallway and into a room at the end of the hallway. “You better not try anything funny,” he said before he opened the door.
The whole place was high, upscale. Like a office building, but out of the windows in the rooms, I could see that people slept and lived in them.
“Okay. Where am I exactly?” I asked.
He opened the door and ushered me in. “Here she is,” he said to the guy sitting behind the desk.
“Get out of here,” the guy said. I recognized the voice from the robbery. He’d been the guy ordering people around.
The door closed behind me and I felt a little panic attack come on. “Relax, I’m not going to do anything to you,” he assured me.
“Who are you?” I asked. “Who are you people?” I might have grown up, lost and confused, especially after my mom died, but I didn’t let the little things go unnoticed.
“Ah, allow me to introduce myself. I’m Will. And you would be?” he asked.
I picked up right away just what kind of guy he was. He had long blonde hair, and a golden tan. He reminded me of a California surfer, and but seemed strangely in place with nice blue jeans and a polo shirt.
“Lani,” I said. I wasn’t going to bother with my last name.
“Lani,” he said after a moment. “A pretty name for a pretty girl.”
“Flattery will get you no where,” I growled.
“Oh, she’s tough too!”
I rolled my eyes, trying to get my point across. “Okay, next question. Why am I here?”
“Well, I can’t really tell you that, Lani,” he said. “Yet,” he added when he saw my frown. “But, I can assure you that no one will hurt you while you’re here, or they’ll answer to me.”
“Oh, and what makes you so special?” I asked.
He stood up and walked across the room to look out the window down the hall. “Well, I guess you could say I’m in charge.”
“In charge of what?”
“The superheroes.”
He had to be kidding.

I totally did not believe this. Superheroes? Superheroes? After Will, that was his name, told me that they’d found me and were protecting me from whoever had locked me in the closet, he’d let me go.
Superheroes? This was crazy. They didn’t exist. They couldn’t. I’d even told Will that.
And then he flew. I mean, it wasn’t that impressive, since we were in a small office, but he flew. His feet off the ground and he flew. I was totally, completely flabbergasted.
There was no other way to describe it.
Which made me begin to wonder…. What was cranky boy’s super power? I’d attempted to ask Will, but he seemed uninterested in cranky boy. Instead he asked me questions like my name, where I was from, why I’d been tied in a closet. I’d lied about the part in the closet. There was no way I was letting a superhero know I’d been involved with the Adenalin stealing.
I could tell that he knew about the robbery. It was all over his face. I could tell, after he asked that question, that he was relieved to finally have it off his chest.
I had lied my ass off during his interrogation. What I was doing in the closet and who I was weren’t any of his business. I was much more interested in cranky boy.
Will had let me leave and I went straight back to where I was, looking for cranky boy. He had so explaining to do.
When I made it back to where I’d been, he was gone, but two younger teenage girls were sitting by my spot. “Have you seen the guy who was with me earlier?”
“What guy?” one of the girls asked.
“Tall, brown hair, seems to have an attitude problem.”
“Oh, Rob. No, he’s probably in his loft. But why do you care? No one talks to him. He’s weird….”
“Where’s his loft?” I asked. I had some questions for cranky boy, and I wasn’t going to let little Miss Priss stop me.
“Why do you want to know, anyways?”
I took a deep breath and counted to ten. I was not going to beat her up. I was not going to beat her up. “Just tell me where it is. I need to talk to him.”
“Get a life,” she said. “Do you just think you’re special because they found you in a government building sweep and decided to keep you? Get over yourself-”
Only she didn’t finish because I had her pinned to the floor. “Tell me where I can find Rob.”
“In his loft,” she said.
“Which is where?” I asked through gritted teeth. “Where is his loft?”
She pointed up behind me. “Third story,” she gasped for air. Couldn’t really blame her though, I mean, I did have her by the neck on the ground.
“Good.” I stood up. “Glad to know we understand one another now.”
I turned around, unsure how I was planning to get to the third floor, but there had to be away. And if not, Will couldn’t be the only superhero that could fly. I could get someone to fly me up there.
“Can I help you, miss?” Some guy with a thick accent from who knows where asked me.
“Yeah, how do I get up there?” I pointed to the third floor.
He laughed. He laughed at me. “Why you looking for Rob? He’s the only one who lives up there. No one wants to be around him.”
“Just tell me how to get up there,” I said, clearly not amused.
“There’s stairs up the hallway. Just keep going past the second floor.”
“Thanks.” I walked up the stairs to the third floor.
I found the single door and stopped. I knew if I knocked he wouldn’t answer. Best to just barge in.
“You idiot. You think you have a chance?” I could hear him telling, almost yelling, at someone. “You ought to know better. You don’t have a chance. He’ll just work his magic and it’ll be over like that!”
Wow, he was really worked up at someone. Maybe now would be the best time to enter. I pulled the door back. “So, superheroes, huh?”

0 Comments:

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover