5.6.10

Chatter, Chatter, Chatter

Dialogue. It's one of the most important elements to the story. I like to make my dialogue as close to everyday talk as possible. The teenagers in my book all talk like teenagers. But yesterday, I got a rather long critique and at the end it mentioned this:

Your grammar does suit teenagers in the real world, but the thing about books is that everything is more formal, even when teens talk.
This kinda made me mad. Oh, see? I used "kinda" instead of "kind of" I'm a teenager, that's how we talk. I don't see why it should be so formal! I don't know about agents and publishers, but as a teenager, one of the things that really bugs me, and I'm going to pick on Twiligh because I was skimming through it earlier, is the fact that they don't talk like teenagers! Okay, I know that Edward is like a hundred years old, but Bella and Jacob certainly don't. It bugged me how formal Bella thought. She doesn't think like a teenager. And no one talks like a teen! So my question is what type of dialogue do you perfer? Formal and stiff, or realistic and loose?

1 Comment:

Amanda said...

It really really depends on the character. If the character's personality isn't quite as care-free, I'd use a more formal dialogue, but I've seen different people use different things. Even among published books.
You're the author! It's a style thing, I think. :)
~Amanda

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover